Friday, August 27, 2010

It has Begun

Let me just start out by saying that in all my years of school I have never ever ever ever started reading on the first day of class. In high school and at Tech, I wasn't so good about reading (this is why I majored in math) and last year, I think I probably waited a week to do any reading. Well let me tell you, I was reading on the first day of class. Partly because I want better grades this year, partly since my teachers were like, "oh yeah, this year is much worse because we know you can handle it," and partlysince my first tests are next week so I have no time to waste! I guess we shall see just how long I can remain in high gear.

So Monday I"m reading my books after class, I'm like I think I can do this part. But I'm scared to death to go to clinicals because let's just say I had some interesting experiences last semester. But new year, new instructors so maybe it will be okay. At least I don't have to be at the hosptial at 6:45am. So I go to clincials Wednesday and meet my new clinical instructor. Let me just say, love her! When I came hope Wednesday night, I was actually happy. My past experiences not so much, more like wanting to go to sleep because I was so depressed. Even though my clincal time wasn't exactly what I wanted (in terms of missing any evening activities on Wednesdays and Thursday like homegroup), I think God really knew what he was doing when he put me there. I know I will definitely learn a lot from her and her teaching style plus I don't feel scared around her like I have with other instructors. She already had us getting involved in some really cool experiences. For example Wednesday we all let her know that we were pretty terrified to communicate with doctors so on Thursday she had one of her surgeon friends talk to us about nurse-Dr interaction and what he expects from nurses and what to say when we have to call one. So I definitely felt better about that piece. And then while I followed her around collecting expired drugs for us to play with, I got to go into the pharmacy which was cool because I had never been in one before. There is still a lot of work associated with clinicals since we have lots to look up about our patient like labs and drugs but hopefully it will also be really fun.

To sum up, this week has been a mental and emotional whirlwind, but not in a bad way like my year started out last year. I don't forsee my workload calming down anytime in the near future, so for those who are used to seeing me various times throughout the week, hopefully I will continue to blog every so often to keep ya'll updated (and please do the same on yours so I don't feel out of the loop)!

3 comments:

  1. You should blog about all your interesting incidences and all the cool things you get to do! Changing names and small facts for patient confidentiality of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're off to an awesome start Ashley! I never started reading at the beginning of school, so I'm wicked impressed! Miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete