Monday, June 6, 2011

The NCLEX

Last Tuesday (31st) I finally got my Authorization to Test which is basically the document that allows a nursing graduate to pick a date to take the NCLEX. When I looked up the dates, the first one available in Roanoke wasn't until the 20th so I looked up some dates in other areas. I finally decided that it would probably be best for me to to it on the 3rd in Newport News, which is where I'm from. This was a really scary decision for my since because I definitely didn't feel ready to take it so soon but everyone always tells you to take it as soon as you can. So I finished my NCLEX review book and drove to Newport News Thursday afternoon. Friday morning I took the test. I had TONS of people praying for me and I actually felt a peace (until I was sitting at the computer). The NCLEX is a computer adaptive test so you can get anywhere between 75 and 265 questions and have up to 6 hours to take it. Once the computer decides that you have answered enough questions to either pass or fail it, it cuts off. I answered 75 questions. I felt like I knew the answer to about 3 questions. I knew the answer to the first question, the one math question I got, and one other. I cried when I got my car.  Nurses tell you that if you feel like all of the questions were impossible then you probably passed because you answered enough of the "difficult" questions. But still, nothing prepares you for the feeling afterwards of failure. I was upset for a couple of hours (had to buy a new bathing suit to cheer myself up) and then decided that I would just not think about it. The bad thing about taking it on a Friday is that you don't know the results until Monday. Somehow, I managed to not think about it much over the weekend. I hung out with some friends in Richmond on Saturday and went to Randolph Park with friends after I got back Sunday. I was also excited about starting my new job today so that helped to keep my mind off of the results. I called the VA Board of Nursing Licensure number during at break at orientation this morning. The automated response said that I was currently licensed, meaning I PASSED! I can't tell you how good it feels right now to not have to study anymore and know that I have a job and am an RN! There are many people who don't pass the first time and I know fellow classmates who still haven't found a job. Thank you all for your prayers and support during this challenging time in my life! For over a year now, I have felt like God was with me every step of the way and that this is really what I'm supposed to do. For me, this is not just a dream come true, but a calling that I am finally able to fulfill.

3 comments:

  1. SOOOOOOO proud of you, Ashley! I knew you would do great. Hope you had a good first day at work! Can't believe how quickly those two years went by!

    Lots of love,
    manda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I am so happy for you! You will be an amazing nurse:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! That's awesome! I had no doubt that you would pass. I just know you! I am really proud of you for following this calling on your life :)

    Love,

    Niki

    ReplyDelete